USAF Special Operations
United States Air Force Special Operations are carried out by a range of units with a number of different roles.
USAF Special Operations - Organization
The majority of USAF Special Operations Forces come under control of the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC).
more info AFSOC organization
A notable exception to the above rule is the the Special Operations Low Level (SOLL) II Division of USAF Air Mobility Command (AMC) which operates modified C-17 Globemasters in support of US SOF.
more info : C-17 Special Operations Low Level II
Special Operations Squadrons
These Air Commandos operate fleets of specialised aircraft on a variety of missions:
- AC-130H/U Gunship
- CV-22 Osprey
- EC-130J Commando Solo
- MC-130E/H Combat Talon I/II
- MC-130P Combat Shadow
- MC-130J Commando II
- MC-130W Combat Spear
- MC-130W Dragon Spear
- MH-53J/M Pave Low
- MQ-1 Predator Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
- BATMAV Micro Unmanned Aircraft System
- Desert Hawk Small Unmanned Aircraft System
- RQ-11 Raven Small Unmanned Aircraft System
- Scan Eagle Unmanned Aircraft System
- UH-1N helicopter
(operated by the 6th Special Operations Squadron)
- C-212-200 / C212-300 Aviocar
(operated by the 427th Special Operations Squadron)
more info : Special Operations Squadrons
Special Tactics Squadrons
AFSOC Special Tactics are specialized ground units who are often integrated with other SOF units such as Special Forces, Rangers and SEALS.
more info : Special Tactics Squadrons
Tactical Air Control Parties
Elite Joint Terminal Attack Controllers with a dedicated squadron within AFSOC.
more info : Tactical Air Control Parties
Special Operations Security Forces Squadron
Elite security forces that provide force protection for garrisoned and deployed AFSOC special operations squadrons.
more info : Special Operations Security Forces Squadrons
USAF Special Operations - Roles
- insertion/extraction/resupply of special operations forces (SOF)
- precision application of firepower
- calling in air power to hit ground targets
- combat search and rescue (CSAR)
USAF Special Operations - Notable Operations
- 2001 - Operation Enduring Freedom
- 2003 - Iraq - Operation Iraqi Freedom